Tuesday, February 3, 2009

VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!






What would it be like to wake up the morning after a 40th birthday party inside a great big shiny ashtray? And then, once you're awake, start partying all over again?
That was what my week in Las Vegas was like.
Redken Symposium, is an amazing event that happens every two years and brings together 10,000 hairdressers from all over the globe to celebrate the hair industry and get juiced up on inspiration from great creative workshops, business workshops, and get the latest news from the world of hair.
The fact that it's set in sin city makes it all the more vibrant and exciting. It was a great opportunity for me to see what some of Redken's best facilitators get up to on the biggest stage and to catch up with some of the cool people I've worked with over the last year.
The weekend started at The Playboy Club where the Aussie crew hosted us at their welcome party. It was really cool to catch up with the Australian Redken Artist team as well The Aussie management team. The Playboy club was the perfect set up for the weekend as it gives a great view over the city and really highlights the party atmosphere of Vegas. As usual, the aussies put on a great party and set an example for the rest of us to follow for the weekend...
Symposium proper started the next day and I was stoked to attend the 6 shows i went to. I managed to party til 5am every night (morning), which was rather a treat as usually when I'm away, I'm working and have the responsibility of keeping myself in good shape for my presentations so i don't usually indulge.
10,000 hairdressers got together for the opening event which had the theme of discovering your professional edge. Some incredible performers demonstrated their professional edge. A couple of magician ballroom dancers demonstrated some mindblowing quickchanges of clothes and one of the most incredible guitar players I have ever witnessed demonstrated his unique style. All this got me totally pumped and realising that finding my own unique talents and honing them is what will help me to grow as a hairdresser and platform artist.
Sam Villa's stand with his new shears, brushes, and combs had queues out the door and they sold out of product (which means I have to wait for my new brushes to be sent out...).
The crew from South Africa, David Bolon (GM), and a group of his clients put in a massive effort in the bars and it was an absolute pleasure (despite the next mornings punishment) to indulge in several tequila's and a few cigars with them.
Tyson Kennedy and his new crew from Cutler in NYC put together a great business show which talked about the strength of brand and had the best collection of clothes. Tammy Reynolds and Tyson shone on stage and it was cool to see my buddys doing their thing.
I managed to sit down with Tyson, Dean Holcombe, Rodney Cutler and Patrick Mcivor for their regular weekly podcast. Check out The podcast on itunes 'what's up new york'.
All in all I came away hungover and inspired. Amped for 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment